Saturday, October 14, 2006

O to 9

Damien fucking Rice.

Words cannot explain how much I love this man's music. It's been over 3 years since he put out the incredible "O" (Honestly, if you haven't heard this CD yet, run to the store right now and get it, it's beautiful and one of my favorite records in the last 5 years, easily.)

So Eskimo Friends announced a few weeks ago that Mr . Rice will have a new CD coming out November 6th overseas, and November 14th in the US entitled "9" (I guess he likes the simple album titles, huh?)

Full track listing:

1. 9 Crimes
2. The Animals Were Gone
3. Elephant
4. Rootless Tree
5. Dogs
6. Coconut Skins
7. Me, My Yoke And I
8. Grey Room
9. Accidental Babies
10. Sleep Don't Weep

On working on "9":

“In writing songs you're expressing your emotions, but very often they're immature emotions although you may write them in a very eloquent way. I think somebody who is very balanced and is sorted out in life don't see any issues with the rest of the world. Whereas when you don't have yourself sorted out, and when you've got issues and you're turbulent inside and struggling to find a balance, then you see all those 'issues' on the outside and they bug you. You write about them because they're frustrating you, and it pours out. But in a sense I feel that although it may be a beautiful means of expression, writing songs is, innately I think, immature. But it’s exciting, so fuck it. Who says that being mature and wise is perfect anyway?”

Gotta love Damien. This is absolutely one of my most anticipated albums of 2006 and I'm hoping it leaks soon (!!).

The single out right now is "9 Crimes" and it's absolutely brilliant. Damien + Lisa Hannigan + piano...I mean, really, does it get anymore gorgeous? No. But, I'll let you decide for yourself.

I also stumbled upon a B-side of the album entitled "The Art Within The Grain"....another goodie from Damien. This man is the best.

"I only wanted to be wonderful
And wonderful is true
In truth I only really wanted
To be wanted by you"


Damien Rice - 9 Crimes (off of upcoming "9", out Nov 14th)


Damien Rice - The Rat Within The Grain ("9" B-side)



Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home