Thursday, December 28, 2006

Top Albums of 2006 - IV

Top Albums's of 2006: #10-6 edition


#10: The Weepies - Say I Am To You


Oh how I adore The Weepies. I first heard their song "World Spins Madly On" on Greys Anatomy, of course...and had to know it was right away. After some research I learned of the adorable duo of Steve Tennan and Deb Talan who make up The Weepies. Their CD Say I Am To You seemed to get praise all over the internet after that episode, so cheers to Greys! These guys had one of my most listened CDs of the year, if only for that song alone. Steve and Deb have fantastic harmonies that come together to make some upbeat modern folk. All smiles, no weeping.

World Spins Madly On


#9: The Decemberists - The Crane Wife


The Decemberists have been around for some time, but I didn't get to know their music until last year when Picaresque came out. While these guys haven't had much main stream success, they are huge all over the indie circuit...and as far as I have read, made many top ten lists around the web. This group came together fabulously on The Crane Wife to make some unfortgetable indie pop that any kind of music listener can appreciate. The Crane Wife 3 was one of my favorite tracks of the year, so I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

The Crane Wife 3



#8: Horse Feathers - Words Are Dead


I didn't come across Horse Feather's CD Words are Dead until the last month of 2006, but it still made its way onto the list. While this folk CD might not be for everyone, I absolutely loved it. A duo of singer/songwriters Justin Ringle & Peter Broderick came together to create such simple but beautiful acoustic music. This album was one of the most relaxing I listened to this year, so if you're looking for some gorgeous white noise, this is it.

In Our Blood



#7: Vetiver - To Find Me Gone


Don't be fooled by the boring cover art found on To Find Me Gone, because it's anything but boring. Another folk CD that made its way to my list (can you tell I'm an addict?) Vetiver's lead singer Andy Cabic has a soft delicate voice that carries throughout the album. There are a range of tracks from striped down love songs to more upbeat tracks, but all display the band's ability to create fantastic music. This one's a keeper.

Been So Long



#6: Glen Hansard - The Swell Season


While The Frame's 2006 release only made #24 on my list, the lead singer's solo debut The Swell Season faired much better. This is Glen Hansard at his most raw and exposed. A love sick record full of heart breaking songs, you can only wonder if these tracks hit home with Glen, they seem too personal to have it be any other scenario. This CD is right up there with Damien Rice's "O" as far as stripped down acoustic beauty. If you love Damien, you will adore Glen's saddening CD.

Drown Out

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love The Weepies so much. And, consequently, I love YOU TOO!!!

9:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was hoping to have your top 5 before the new year so I could get em from oink! thanks for all the suggestions so far!

7:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home