Saturday, December 09, 2006

Top Albums of 2006 - II

Top Albums's of 2006: #19-15 edition

#19: Ray LaMontagne - Until the Sun Turns Black


I first became obsessed with Ray LaMontagne back in 2004 when his incredible debut Trouble was released. Until the Sun Turns Black was one of my most anticipated albums of the year, but as expected it didn't live up to the expectations of Trouble...and rightfully so, that album was nearly perfect. While in comparison it was weaker, as an album alone it was beautiful. Ray has one amazing voice that is best seen in his live shows, even if he is painfully shy. While it didn't live up to the hype, it wasn't a letdown by any means. I still love you Ray.

Empty


#18: Regina Spektor - Begin to Hope


Regina Spektor has begun to pop up all over the place nearing the end of 2006. She just recently got added to VH1's "Next Artists" list. I got Begin to Hope early in the year and fell in love with Regina's funky and fun anti-folk pop music as soon as I heard Fidelity. Regina is as shy as can be in person but her music is as bubbly as can be. Regina is going to gain a ton more fans over the next few months so be on the lookout!

Fidelity


#17: Teddy Thompson - Separate Ways


As I was reading SPIN magazine one day, I saw an ad for Teddy Thompson's newest CD Separate Ways and decided to seek out some music of his online. After reading he was the only song of famous musicians Richard and Linda Thompson I knew I could be expecting something good, and I was right. Teddy has a beautiful voice and writes some sweet folk-pop. Whenever I was in a bad mood, Separate Ways would help to lighten my mood. It's very apparent Teddy got a great deal of musical talent from his parents, lucky guy.

I Wish It Was Over



#16: Cat Power - The Greatest


Chan Marshall, also know as Cat Power, has been putting out beautiful music for years, but I really loved her 2006 release The Greatest. Chan has one of the most beautiful female vocals I've ever had the pleasure of listening to. The combination of her amazing voice and soft relaxing music made this CD a great one to drift off to sleep to in 2006.

The Greatest


#15: Califone - Roots and Crowns


I hadn't heard of the Chicago based Califone until this year but found out they have been putting out albums for years. I wasn't sure their CD Roots and Crowns would make my list this year, but after a few listens I realized how much I enjoyed it. It's some great indie rock that thankfully wasn't missed by myself this year. I have yet to hear their other CDs, but that's next on my list of music to seek out for 2007.

Spider's House


Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home